Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Thanks for being there for me, T-Pain.

This is probably the most ridiculous blog post you'll read today, but hear me out.  Sometimes I get low.  Sometimes I make mistakes, like reading Wuthering Heights for fun.  Sometimes I have trouble finding a job, get lost downtown looking for a trolley stop, and walk around in circles with only my own foul mood to keep me company.  Sometimes I miss people I don't know anymore, and sometimes I miss the me I use to be.

When times get rough, I take a little advice from my buddy T-Pain, who reminds me to snap my fingers and do my step, because I can do it all by myself.

I know that's not what he means in his hit song "Buy U A Drank (Shawty Snappin')."  But I think what matters is the impact the words have on me.  It's one of those communications principles, the message that is received is just as important as the one sent.

And for me, "Buy U a Drank" isn't about getting drunk and having fun, it's about getting up when you're low.  "Snap yo fingers, do your step, you can do it all by yourself," becomes an almost literal benediction for me.  "Let's get gone, walk it out, just like that that's what I'm talking about," are like words of encouragement for my progress.

All the rest of the lyrics are completely lost on me, meaningless.  I don't drink or enjoy a party lifestyle, so all of that is irrelevant to me.

As ridiculous as it may sound, "Buy U A Drank" only speaks to me on a spiritual level.  He reminds me, oh, yeah, I can do this.  I do have money in the bank.  I'm just going to snap my fingers, do my step, and do this all by myself.

So, thanks, T-Pain.  You've really helped me out.



No comments:

Post a Comment