Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A poor choice?

I started "Death At Sea World" a little while ago, and I have to say, I'm concerned I may have made a mistake.  The information that is the heart and soul of the book is vital, interesting, and compelling.  The information the author tends to focus on relaying in these first few chapters is tedious and boring.  I feel like I've heard several people's life stories, about their college years and their childhoods.  I bought this book because I wanted to read about orcas in captivity and in the wild, and the difference between their lifestyles, life expectancies, and their behaviors.

I understand there's an ongoing story that needs to be told, but I feel like large amount of my time is being frittered away on inconsequential details.  The pertinent information to establish this person's credibility could have been given in a paragraph, and there are several chapters of the book about different marine biologists realizing that's what they want to do as children and then going to college.

Another thing that struck me as silly is that the author wrote an account of Tilikum's life from his point of view, asking the readers to put themselves in his place.  That whale has thoughts and feelings, but there's no way I could infer them.

I have to say, I'm not thrilled with this book so far, which is a shame because I really thought I was going to get sucked into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment